Monza is famous world-wide for the Italian Grand Prix of Formula 1 – which takes place in September – but there is so much more than this. It’s a beautiful historic city, completely walkable and full of green spaces thanks to the huge royal park, the Parco di Monza. There is a very interesting guided tour in English of the Duomo’s precious Iron Crown. The Royal Villa with its wonderful gardens was recently restored; built between 1777 and 1780 by the Empress Marie-Therese of Austria, the most interesting rooms are the royal apartments of Umberto and Margherita and the chapel by Piermarini. The tiny church is dedicated to the Immaculate Mary and it is without doubt the most richly decorated of the Villa’s rooms.
Length of Drive: 41 minutes (22 KM) from Poggio Verde
Parking: Piazza Trento e Trieste 1/A, 20052 Monza, 2.40€ 1 hour
Type of Visit: Cultural
Things to see:
- Duomo, a Romanesque-gothique church in the centre Piazza
- The Iron Crown kept in the Duomo Treasury and said to be made with one of the nails from the crucifixion. Excellent tours in English available, reserve calling +39.039.326383
- The City centre, a pedestrian-only shopping zone with charming shops, walking streets and cafès.
- Royal Villa, an amazing country-palace very similar to Schoenbrunn in Vienna, recently restored. Ask Gretchen about tours in English.
- Arengario, a very well preserved 13th century City Hall situated in the central part of the city, at Piazza Roma.
Visit to Monza: Download file