The beautiful little hilltop village of Montevecchia is about 20 minutes from Poggio Verde. If possible, it’s nice to visit on a Sunday afternoon when the light is low and the stations of the cross area under the church are open. Continuing on past Montevecchia is a tiny cheese shop in a farmstead and a little further is the ridge with stunning views. Next to Montevecchia Alta lies the Val Curone park: a natural reserve rich in flora and fauna with many walks of varying lengths and difficulty, and a winery with excellent white and red choices of the region.
Length of Drive: 18 min (9 km) from Poggio Verde
Parking: at the beginning of Via Alta Collina (just beyond Via Alta Collina 1)
Type of Visit: natural beauty / historical site / views /walk / lunch
Things to see:
- Beata Vergine del Carmelo sanctuary, located at the highest point of the town, has a terrace from where you can admire the landscape
- Monteveccia walk take a walk down via Alta Collina west towards Sirtori and have lunch in one of the locales along the way (Ristorante Carlambroeus, Terrazze di Montevecchia).
- Buy local cheese at the Latteria Maggioni Amabile (900m walk from Montevecchia along the Via Alta Collina)
- Take a longer walk. Pick up a detailed map at the Cascina Butto (park your car in the parking lot in Via Valfredda in front of the Municipio and walk to the cascina where the Parco Curone e Montevecchia headquarters are located. (Closes at 12,30!)
- Wine tasting: Drive to La Costa winery in Via Galbusera Nera 2, 23888 Rovagnate. With a good map you can walk there (about 1 hour).
Visit to Montevecchia: Download file