Como is a very attractive Roman city surrounded by mountains that line the banks of Lake Como. The lake offers amazing views of the Alps from lake-side villas that are famous for their charm and elegance. The historic center is built around the Piazza Duomo and San Fedele but there are many others attractions to boating on the lake, visiting the Villa Olmo and the park and also a great numbers of designer boutiques and local shops. The best way to enjoy the breathtaking view of lake and landscape is to take the short funicular from Como to Brunate, or drive around the lake to Cernobbio to have tea at the elegant Villa d’Este. Check out the NY Times’ excellent article on Como here.
Length of Drive: 51 min (32 km) from Poggio Verde
Parking: Autosilo Val Duce, Viale Lecco 9, Como
Type of Visit: Cultural, natural beauty
Things to see:
- Basilica di San Fedele, 12 c. church in the heart of the town
- Duomo, and the mideval city center next door
- Villa Olmo – Neoclassical building on the shore that often has exhibitions
- Funicular to Brunate: 15 minute walk from the parking lot to the base of the funicular in Piazza Alice de Gaspari 4. Lunch or coffee at the top.
- Tea/Aperitif at Villa D’Este Drive around the lake to Via Regina 40, Cernobbio for a cup of tea or aperitif and view from the fabulous lake terrace. The villa grounds are a wonder to see!
- Boating on the Lake: Take a boat ride to another location on this beautiful lake, see timetables here
Visit to Lake Como: Download file