Welcome back to “Poggio Pots and Pans”, here, take a seat! We were just about to get started with a new recipe from Poggio. But first of all we would like to really thank you all for the comments, the kind words of support and the messages! Hearing from you brings us joy and a feeling of connection with our Poggio friends.
While looking for a recipe to share, we came across some pictures from a cooking lesson with the talented chef Antonella Pavanello and Sheryl Lott’s fun group of friends from Alabama and Georgia.
Antonella taught us how to make Linguine with pesto made from fava beans, basil, dried tomatoes, mint and Pecorino cheese, a satisfying spring recipe to bring some color into your meal! In addition to being beautiful, this dish is packed with useful nutrients: favas and cheese are protein, pasta is a great source of carbs while fresh mint, basil and tomatoes are fibers and vegetables.
Favas are available in American food stores such as Publix and on-line.
Linguine with fava beans, dried tomatoes, mint and pecorino pesto
Ingredients for 6 to 8 people:
- 500 gr linguine or spaghetti
For fava bean pesto:
- 16 ounces fresh or frozen fava beans (canned can be used in a pinch but they are not as green)
- 2 ounces or 3 tablespoons grated pecorino cheese (you can substitute parmigiano)
- 4 or 5 tablespoons dried tomatoes in oil (substitute halved cherry tomatoes sprinkled with salt and sugar and baked for 45 minutes at 360°F)
- 1 bunch basil leaves (about 30 leaves)
- A few mint leaves (about 15)
- 1 clove garlic (if desired)
- 1 cup or more Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Let’s get started!
- Cook the beans in lightly salted boiling water for 4 or 5 minutes. Drain and cool them under running water and remove the outer coat (if not already peeled).
- Clean, wash and dry the mint and basil leaves. Combine the fava beans and the other ingredients in a food processor and slowly add the oil until you obtain a homogeneous mixture. Add salt and pepper and mix again until you obtain the consistency of a liquid pesto.
- Pour the pesto into a bowl. Cook the linguine in rapidly boiling salted water for the time indicated on the package; dilute the pesto with a spoon of cooking water. Place the colander on top of the serving dish in the sink, then drain the linguine in the colander so that your serving dish gets nice and hot. Empty the hot cooking water from the dish, add the linguini and pesto. Mix well and serve.
Let us see your Linguine with Fava beans pesto if you try making them!
Previous recipe by “Poggio Pots and Pans”
One thought on “Poggio Pots and Pans – Linguine with Fava Bean Pesto”
Way to go Fran… can’t wait to cook…. will try to get picture of Tenn version of “Poggio Verde Pots and Pans”..,❤️🇺🇸🇮🇹Martha Elder